Monday, December 10, 2007

Lute Olsen

This is a tricky subject for several reasons which I will hopefully be able to articulate effectively enough to describe my stance on it.

He has taken a leave of absence from his team for the remainder of the season to deal with "personal problems." The media being what it is, it took less than 24 hours to find out he's getting a divorce from his wife of four years. Fair enough, also, there are other reported personal problems in addition to this divorce that led to this decision.

If this were the only side to the story, what can I say? He's going through a tough time and I'm sure it sucks to be in a national spotlight and go through this. But when Bobbi, his first wife (of 47 years I might add), died in January of 2001 after fighting ovarian cancer, he didn't take the rest of the season off. The inconsistency here bothers me. They had five children together and were married for almost 50 years. I don't quite understand it, but I've never spent that long with someone. I don't really want to get into "preparing for her death" or anything like that.

That was just something that bothered me, but I still respect him and the fact that I know nothing other than what I've read is a huge component of this. I hope the other problems he has cited don't involve his health, because he's a great coach with an insane track record. He has almost 800 wins, 12 coach of the year honors (10 conference, 2 national), a national championship, and has been coaching some level of basketball for over FIFTY YEARS.

I wish him the best and hope everything is okay. I'm also glad the school is supporting him and his job is still waiting for him when he is ready to return.

When people are going through stuff like this, they deserve to be left alone. As soon as it was announced that he had "personal problems," I knew it wouldn't be long before some douche went sniffing around a subject that is none of his business and had to tell the world. It's none of our business, yet here I am blogging about it. Go Duke.

No comments: