Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Are you serious?

I'd blog about Duke's mini-collapse currently going on, as they were blitzed by Miami tonight for their second straight loss, but luckily the game wasn't on TV so I don't know what to say about it, other than they better get their act together because now they're in a tie for first in the ACC and they still have a game left against UNC. We're past character-building losses, now it's just time to tighten up and get back to what they were doing.

The game that was on TV, however, was Kansas State at Nebraska. K-State lost, 69-64. After tonight, I finally have some ground to back up my claims that Tyler Hansbrough should and will get Player of the Year honors.

I have to be careful with my words here, because I'm going to call Michael Beasley immature, but I cannot call Hansbrough mature. Beasley is emotional, which you can't take away from him. That's a great quality, but he takes it to a level where it is a fault. He got a poor reception coming into the Bob Devaney Sports Center in Lincoln tonight (harassed on the road?! NO!), so what does he do? As soon as the cameras get on him, he talks about potentially dropping FIFTY, yes 50 (5-0, 49+1, 25x2) points in the approaching game against the Cornhuskers.

"It's gonna be a fun night. I'm trying to tell you. I might go for 50. I'm being serious!"

What a tool!
He's got to realize he's got a target on his back. If a team can match up with you, they will--and when you put up numbers like him, they'll double-team you. If that doesn't work, they'll triple-team you.
That's exactly what Nebraska did, and my little buddy Beasley got frustrated early, held to seven points in the first half.
I will give him some credit. He kicked it up a notch late in the second half, dropping two straight three-balls and then another field goal (and one) to get his team back in the game, and he finished with 17 points and 10 boards. He tied Carmelo Anthony's record of 22 double-doubles by a freshman.
Ok, enough being nice.
He's also lazy. Down two points with a buck twenty left, he pulled down a rebound nonchalantly and had it stripped right out of his hands, allowing the Huskers to drain a whole extra possession off the clock.
Clutch? Not so much. AIRBALLED a three with 20 seconds left, down four. He then committed a foul, and bobbled the wide-open rebound, knocking it out of bounds and giving it back to Nebraska, where they went up by seven and sealed the deal.


All this bashing Beasley is not for nothing. The point I'm trying to make is that Hansbrough, as much as I hate him, is everything Beasley is not. If Beasley stays in school, which he won't, he can only hope to become what Hansbrough is. A leader. Beasley cannot carry his team like Hansbrough has since Ty Lawson went down with the ankle injury. 35 and 12 tonight for Psycho-T. Player of the Year.


I don't know if anyone is still reading, or if anyone reads this at all...but did you see Tiger's putt for eagle on 17 today? SIIIIIICK

No comments: