Saturday, April 5, 2008

We follow Man Law on days like today.

Man Law #94: A perfectly beautiful day is a perfectly good reason to be inside watching sports.

A New Yorker's itinerary for Saturday, April 5, 2008:

1:05 p.m. EST - Tampa Bay Rays @ New York Yankees
-The first place Rays (had to throw that in there) placed a beating on the last place Yankees yesterday. Yankee fans have to be concerned about the shakiness of Ian Kennedy (KENNEDY!). They'll make all the excuses in the world (early in the season, he's young, blah blah blahhhh), but here's the plain truth: You can rely on a whopping one and a half pitchers in your starting rotation. I give Phil Hughes a little credit. My main reason for watching today is to see how Andy Pettitte fares in his return after an eventful offseason.

-I was going to blog twice yesterday about the Rays/Yanks game. The first instance was after Tampa Bay jumped out to a 6-0 lead. I changed my Facebook status to something along the lines of "Travis is enjoying watching the Yankees get pummeled." After about 10 minutes, the Yankees put up a four-spot and I quickly cleared my status. During the long offseason, I clearly forgot about what the Yanks are capable of. I was going to blog about how much I hate the A.L. East and how I was ready to watch a slugfest that I referred to a few days back.
-The second instance was in the 8th inning. I was thoroughly impressed with both bullpens, not allowing a single run since the starters left. As I opened the blog to create a new post, LaTroy Hawkins started getting a good old-fashioned beat down reminiscent of what the legendary Devil Rays used to do game-in and game-out. Should have stuck with my first instinct not to trust American League Pitching.

-On to today, I expect Pettitte to exceed expectations from Yankee haters such as myself. Five solid innings pitched, 1 earned run, four walks, five strikeouts, and he will get the win. The Bronx Bombers should touch up Edwin Jackson for a hot 6-7 runs before he's pulled.

Enough of this American League crap, let's get into the real games!
3:55 p.m. EST, New York Mets @ Atlanta Braves
-We got rained out yesterday, so let's try it today! John Maine had an exceptional spring, allowing five runs in 29 innings pitched. Tim Hudson already reasserted his dominance in his first start of the season, going seven innings, allowing three hits, and two runs. He got a no decision. No predictions on this one, because the Braves will probably win.

6:07 p.m. EST, UCLA Bruins vs. Memphis Tigers
-Tough game to call, Memphis has really shown how good it is this March, dominating each team it has faced. For the sake of my bracket (since I'm always wrong in my picks), I'll pick Memphis to win, 66-60, and hope I'm wrong!

Approx. 8:47 p.m. EST, North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Kansas Jayhawks
-I'm done listening to and reading this "Roy Williams vs. his old team," garbage--I want some basketball! He did little, if any recruiting for this team he's facing tonight. Granted, it will be a Kansas crowd, but what good is booing a coach going to do? Will it shake Psycho T? Ty Lawson? I. Don't. Thinkso. I usually get one pick right, so I'm going to go out on a limb and take UNC, 80-72.

No comments: