Thursday, July 24, 2008

I LOVE TITLE IX!!!!

As much as I love and respect women's sports, there is still the other half of me that loves some aspects for all the wrong reasons. You know...Maria Sharapova, Ana Ivanovic, Natalie Gulbis, Paula Creamer, etc...

Well I may have a new love on my dark side! The NCAA announced the newest women's sport being considered at schools is Sand Volleyball! I don't know if the implications include bikinis, but I'll take my chances.

Credit solely and completely goes to Title IX here, since colleges are RARELY Title IX compliant, meaning the ratio of male-to-female athletes is not consistent with the ratio of male-to-female students. The only instances where schools can even become close to being Title IX compliant are when a school a) doesn't have a football team, b) is all girls or all guys, or c) is a tech school where the male population actually dominates.

The only reason it is uncommon for schools to be sued or investigated over Title IX violations is because there are loopholes. As long as a school is "making progress" towards becoming Title IX compliant, they're given a break. Plus, these lawsuits are long and arduous. However, if ONE female student wants to compete in ANY sport, the school is required to offer it, risking the chance of being sued, a suit which the school has a slim-to-none chance of winning.

No comments: