Monday, October 20, 2008

Bedlam in St. Pete!

Last night, I did the unthinkable. I rooted for the Tampa Bay Rays. All signs pointed to another Red Sox victory last night and another page in the their storied legacy. I couldn't possibly be rooting for the Rays. After I skewered the Drew Carey glasses wearing manager in a live blog last week, I didn't expect to be rooting for the Rays in Game Seven. But there I was, blaring the theme song to the "Price is Right" after JD Drew struck out in the 8th inning. Good on the Tampa Bay Rays for winning in 7. On to the World Series.

6 comments:

Travis Miller said...

How about David Price? There hasn't been a rookie pitcher to make such an impact in the playoffs since.......................

John Lackey??

Michael J. Clark said...

K Rod my friend

Travis Miller said...

We'll have to agree to disagree, but maybe I was getting a little ahead of myself.

Price 2008 playoffs: 3 appearances, 2 1/3 innings pitched, no hits, no earned runs, 1-0, one save.

Lackey 2002 playoffs: 5 appearances, 22 1/3 innings pitched, 6 earned runs, 2-0

K-Rod 2002 playoffs: 10 appearances, 18 2/3 innings pitched (I'll concede, this is VERY impressive), 4 earned runs, 5-1 with two blown saves.

Michael J. Clark said...

Interesting question as to who was more valuable to that LAA team. We have to go with the third party to break the tie. How say you, Eric? K-Rod or Lackey?

Unknown said...

Well in game 2 (in which Lackey started) of the WS, K-Rod was the only dominant pitcher for Ana. K-Rod's only loss that postseason was one in which he didn't allow an earned run. So I'll have to go with K-Rod. Also, 28 strikeouts in 18.2 innings is pure dominance.

Travis Miller said...

This isn't fair! You boys are ganging up on me!

Adam Wainwright 2006 playoffs: 9 appearances, 9 2/3 innings pitched, seven hits, no earned runs, 1-0 with four saves and 15 strikeouts. And as painful as it hurts, I remember the NLCS clinching curveball with the bases loaded facing Carlos Beltran.